HOW TO CONTACT
FRIENDS OF THE FOUNTAIN AND WALK
Call: Sara Holmes: 510 526-5347
Gardening and Maintenance Activities:
Volunteers meet the first Saturday of every month from 9am-11am in front of 1992 Los Angeles and The Circle. Many tools are provided, but feel free to bring your own pruners, kneeler, gloves, etc. We pull weeds, trim the boxwood hedge, sweep the gutters, etc. We also maintain Fountain Walk by weeding, trimming and sweeping.
We decorate the bears for the holidays and string lights around the fountain.
The group gets together once a year for a party during the holidays near the end of December.
We are still seeking donations.
Make check payable to: Friends of the Fountain and Walk
And mail to:
Friends of the Fountain and Walk
P.O. Box 7343
Berkeley, CA 94707
We can now accept PayPal.
We are a 501(c)(3) organization. For more information, email us at FountainAndWalk@gmail.com
Thank You For Your Generous Donations!
In addition to the nearly $20,000 you helped us raise since October 2011 through 2012, the community has donated over $55,000 in 2013 for this effort. We are pleased to report additional repair funds from the City of Berkeley: the Public Works Department has agreed to contribute $10,000 and the Parks, Recreation and Waterfront Department $5,000. Our sincerest thanks to the City and all contributors.
Over the last year, here is our progress in putting your donations to work to repair broken balusters down Fountain Walk and around The Circle (see short "film" below):
- Repair Plans prepared pro bono courtesy of Charlie Wilson, Landscape Architect.
- Landmarks Preservation Commission determined that the repair can go ahead.
- The City approved our repair plans.
- Priorities were assigned to baluster repairs, with the most deteriorated balusters being replaced.
- Michael H. Casey Design, Inc., completed the moulds and castings for 57 full balusters and 20 half balusters.
- Hans Thiering Masonry, a general contractor and mason, has completed the installation of the balusters and the repair of the most badly damaged railings. His crew included: Gerardo Chavez, Jorge Guera, Jesus Chavez, and Gerardo Samora.
- We are working to have Hans Thiering secure the loose capping pieces around the bottom pool of the fountain.
- The City is working to replace the 20 year old lighting fixtures around the fountain. Some of the lighting will be converted to LEDs.