October 22, 2013 | Report – October 2013Leave your thoughts | Categorised in: Donations, Fountain News & Updates
In addition to the nearly $20,000 you helped us raise since October 2011 through 2012, the community has donated over $55,000 in 2013 for this effort. We are pleased to report additional repair funds from the City of Berkeley: the Public Works Department has agreed to contribute $10,000and the Parks, Recreation and Waterfront Department $5,000.
Our sincerest thanks to the City and all contributors.
Over the last year, here is our progress in putting your donations to work to repair broken balusters down Fountain Walk and around The Circle (see short “film” below):
- Repair Plans prepared pro bono courtesy of Charlie Wilson, Landscape Architect.
- Landmarks Preservation Commission determined that the repair can go ahead.
- The City approved our repair plans.
- Priorities were assigned to baluster repairs, with the most deteriorated balusters being replaced.
- Michael H. Casey Design, Inc., completed the moulds and castings for 57 full balusters and 20 half balusters.
- Hans Thiering Masonry, a general contractor and mason, has completed the installation of the balusters and the repair of the most badly damaged railings. His crew included: Gerardo Chavez, Jorge Guera, Jesus Chavez, and Gerardo Samora.
- We are working to have Hans Thiering secure the loose capping pieces around the bottom pool of the fountain.
- The City is working to replace the 20 year old lighting fixtures around the fountain. Some of the lighting will be converted to LEDs.
Watch a short “film” donated by Eve Edelson about the baluster repair project.Come See Our Repaired Balusters! »